Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Intership Questions

For my last internsnip, I was given a series of questions and figured they would be beneficial for this internship as well.

Why did you choose this site?
I chose the WWBC for several reasons. It seems like I will have a wide variety of experiences. Designing logos for businesses will be a great way to build my portfolio. I think I may be able to force myself to learn more about website design (even if it is just various WYSIWYG editors). I am really excited to work with the individuals and the art gallery. After my internship this summer and my internship last semester I think that this internship will be a wonderfully fun learning experience.

What are you expectations for this internship?
I expect to learn more about the business side of art and design, to create some pieces for my portfolio, learn more about website design, be surrounded by art, build relationships with interesting women and people, and hopefully be able to use my creativity.

I expect it to be challenging at times. Twice over the summer when I was able to work for clients on a specific project, I had a nervous doubt about my skill. I would forget the simple fact that I wouldn’t get projects if I wasn’t capable of completing them. They of course ended well and the nervousness was just doubt not truth.

What do you expect to learn from this internship?
I hope to learn more about website design.

What profession are you pursuing?
I know that I want to work with people and do some sort of art. Graphic design is a good combination of the two. You get more interaction both with business professionals and other creative individuals. My dream is to run a music venue that caters to troubled youth and has shelter capabilities.

One part that I would want this venue to have is an art gallery and an area for these kids to work on art therapy as well as graffiti art. Ideally I would be the one designing promotional materials for small local bands and the venue itself. This could include t-shirts, fliers, posters (my favorite to design) and whatever else seemed necessary.

In the process of starting this gallery I would love to fund it through freelance design. The largest difficulty with freelancing seems to be finding clients. WWBC may offer some helpful techniques in this are.

How does this internship relate to your future professional goals?
One of the areas that I don’t have a lot of experience in is that of business. I was able to talk to a designer Sara Nelson this summer and she suggested taking business courses. I was also given the chance to work in a small business as an in house designer. It was a great experience to learn about the business side (and print production side) of graphic design. I do think that this internship will help me to become well rounded as a designer and artist.

In addition to the business aspects, I will be able to work in the Works of Wyoming Art Gallery. I am extremely excited for this because I love art and would enjoy working/volunteering at a gallery. Gallery exposure is great for art and graphic design in the sense that it is an amazing and constantly changing sourse of inspiration, thought, and dialogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment