Friday, August 27, 2010

Training Week

After the first week I am extremely excited and a bit nervous, for my internship. I am excited about working with the Works of Wyoming gallery, their events and my client work. I am not sure how much I will be doing with each part of the organization. I think that this internship will be a good combination of art and design. I love both. This week I was also given a quick introduction to Joomla. I think I will pick it up fairly quick but it will be a challenge. It seems more complicated than what is necessary.

I really enjoyed last semester’s internship and I am excited to learn more about another gallery and gain experience. I have heard about some of the gallery’s events in the past but never really knew much or exactly what was going on. That being said I am in a good position to promote WOW to the art department through Student Art League. I am looking forward to becoming more involved with the gallery and hopefully will be able to produce some work for a juried show.

In addition to the gallery, I am excited about working with my first client. There will be a lot of work that she will need. (Hanna was able to complete her logo.) I will basically be designing a booth for a trade show.

There will need to be promotional material, maybe a video, and trinket type handouts. We talked about coming up with a theme that will travel throughout the booth, as well as various ways to make the company’s booth stand out.

I am going to begin with a chart that Georgia has given me. The chart is a bunch of circles that touch each other in an attempt to show the two factors (material and technique) that go into the product and produce a way for the consumer to save money. This task seems like it will be a challenge. We discussed the possibility of using color and maybe some icons to depict this information to two different audiences. One is the tech-savvy engineer and the other is the businessman who cares about it working, not really how. This portion could lead to some design and images that could carry throughout the booth. If this plan of action works the design of the other material and the rest of the booth should fall into place. After this work is designed, I will be starting on the design of their website. I am a bit nervous about this aspect but I think it should be doable. It is one area of design that I don’t think I have learned much in but want to learn.

After the first week, I still have that nervous feeling I always have during training for a job. The nervousness that maybe I cant do this. I have always been fine in the past so I can assume that this will go fine as well. The feeling of excitement is always just as strong as the nervousness and thankfully that is true in here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment